Monday, February 27, 2012

Glory Days (Can't Pass Us By)

Glory days well they'll pass you by

     Contrary to the sentiment expressed in the song by Bruce Springsteen, in our profession our glory days can't be something that has passed us by. By this I mean that the students we have today are deserving of the best educators we can be and not be saddled with someone whose best days are distant memories. The students in your classes today are new to you as you are new to them. They deserve to have the best teacher you are with all of the passion and commitment you bring to the profession.

     This is not to suggest that your teaching style does not change over the years. I know that some of the best things I thought I did in my early years of teaching would not be as successful today. Similarly some of the worst things I did early on are no longer a part of what I believe. In a brilliant post (http://bit.ly/zHY61R), Chris Kennedy (@chrkennedy) talks about how his teaching has changed over time.  As the context changes around us so do the strategies we employ to effectively teach students. What shouldn't change is the enthusiasm and capacity to make a difference.


And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it but I probably will
Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture a little of the glory of

No comments:

Post a Comment